Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Becky early in the morning

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, this is new"? It has been already in the ages before us. Ecclesiastes 1:9-10

"He cannot be Adam early in the morning. There have been too many Adams, and they have named everything." Yeats by Harold Bloom

Starting a blog feels horrifically unoriginal. "Everyone's doing it." And it makes me not want to. But if I simply react against what others do, I still allow them to control my behavior. So tonight I will choose to take a risk that countless others have taken, but that nevertheless feels terrifyingly unique to me in this moment. And I will start by acknowledging that

this will not be terribly original.


Although it is early morning, I am most definitely not Adam. I am deeply indebted to the names other Adams--people I've loved, listened to, read, simply observed--have given to pieces of life. The vocabulary they have passed to me is so rich that at times it seems as though there really is nothing left for me to name. But even if that is true (and I'm not completely convinced that it is), I can at least string those names together, like brilliant beads, and make something that someone just might want to slip around her wrist.

The adventure begins...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home